Wednesday, February 6, 2008

How many mailboxes does the average person purchase in a lifetime?

Before Neal broadcasts it to the world, I figure I will share my recent “accident” with you all. It also resulted in one of the best laughs Neal has had since surgery, so I guess it was worth it. I have only caused 3 car accidents in my life. Funny enough, they all involve mailboxes. The first was when I was sixteen and simply not paying attention. It was only a few houses down from where I lived. I not only managed to hit it, but get it lodged underneath my car so I could take it home to show my mom. My mom said she would handle it and I could go on to work. Unfortunately, we missed the fact that my license plate fell off in the street. Wouldn’t you know it the police just happened to drive down the street and find it! I got off easy simply buying a new mailbox and giving an apology, but Mike actually had to put the new mailbox in.

Mailbox number 2 was actually what we call “Big Blue”. Yes, a US Postal Service box. I think I was 17 at the time. It was in Neal’s neighborhood. It was not my fault, it was my portable cd player located conveniently under my passenger seat’s fault. Neighbors saw me do it, so I turned myself in (not that I would not have anyways). I got a ticket and even more devastating the neighborhood lost their mailbox. It was never replaced. A moment of silence for Big Blue please. Thanks to those that remind me of this every time I am in Elyria. If anyone ever tells you a 1985 Dodge Omni is not a great car, remind them of how mine continued to run no matter what size mailbox I hit.

That brings us to mailbox number 3. Sometime last week I pulled up to get our mail and forgot to close the door on the mailbox. When I backed up….CRUNCH. The door is still attached, but it is bent and our mail is now getting wet! Luckily the car was not harmed. I have already come up with a story for the neighbors. I can hear myself saying it. “I just cannot believe kids these days.” or “I cannot believe the mailman would do that.” At least I did not have issues with the riding lawn mower and trees like my sister did. I bet my mom and dad are so proud! This probably is not the best time to promote the Company Neal and I have started up.

The guys are doing fine. Neal is venturing out for his first time since surgery with Dave tonight. Ryan made it into work to see everyone this week. We plan to see Ryan and Les sometime this week. Ryan's follow up appointment is tomorrow. Matt helped me move some furniture around last night, but the only place Neal is comfortable sleeping is the couch.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did not know about the first mailbox, but I do remember the second mailbox. some times I go by and just laugh, but I am also happy because now I have more reasons to go to Drug Mart

denise

Anonymous said...

I remember the first but not the 2nd. These are classic stories! That is funny!

Suzy

Unknown said...

i did not know about the second mailbox either. this first one was a great story of young drivers. if it makes you feel any better i hit my parents mailbox the summer after i graduated college. i was trying to get real close to it so i could get the mail without getting out and got a bit too close. the good news was that the mailbox was fine and that i did not get in trouble with the law.

Anonymous said...

Michele, You've got mail!

Jim Mc

Anonymous said...

UPS delivers to the door.

Doug Heffernan,the king of queens.

a.k.a. pappy

Anonymous said...

My best mailbox story involves hitting the mailbox of my insurance guy. Totally messed the front end of my car but couldn't really claim it!! He saw me do it! What a dork.

I think mailboxes have some magnetic device that just makes us hit 'em!

Anonymous said...

I always wondered why there were 100 different mailboxes at Lowes. Now I know. Women run into them. I may have lost my privelages to drive for a year but i never commited a felony and destroyed government property.

-Neal

Anonymous said...

I committed no felony. I probably would not have hit it if you would have had your license and could drive to my house!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I think they call it (women drivers)

Anonymous said...

hahaha! my car is in the shop right now because i backed into a driveway and didn't see the mailbox.

take care, truong

Tricia said...

Hey, I think you might be leaving out a small (but crucial) fact about what distracted you when you hit the first mailbox--I remember, but I won't spill.