Monday, September 29, 2008

One year ago

One year ago, I was 28 years old and my husband of 6 years was 30. My husband was on a ventilator at OSU, in what I referred to as a drug induced coma. He would not respond to my voice or my touch. I was in the ICU with my family and friends when a doctor told me that they thought something was or actually was not going on in my husband's brain. I was told that the fact that his tongue could potentially get cut off, was not at all an issue to deal with now. A doctor actually let my family and friends think that Neal was brain dead. For days we would all go back and visit hoping to get a response from him and nothing. It was days before tests were run to prove the doctors wrong.

I drove him to the hospital just 12 hours earlier and he knew my name and his name (although he could barely talk since his tongue was swollen throughout his entire mouth), but could not even tell me what year it was. He did not even answer let alone acknowledge my question "What year is it?" He simply stared into space as if my question never made it to his brain. I immediately called my sister and said meet me at the hospital right now, something is really wrong. Upon arriving at the hospital we were taken to a trauma room. We had never visited this area of the ER before, which was not a good sign. Neal was put on a ventilator and taken away for tests. Six hours later we saw him heavily sedated on a ventilator and still had no answers. My mom stated it best, this was a real life NIGHTMARE.

Thankfully the images of this nightmare are slowly fading. Neal likes to joke about this incident. I in turn do not think anything about it is funny and wish I could forget the month of October 2007 forever, perhaps even the entire year! Who would have thought we would be where we are today. Neal is in the best shape since we first started dating 13 years ago. I think we both have a new, improved outlook on life.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the John Holmes of tongues.

-Neal

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention the deep sexy voice you had for 3 or so days after the trach. I remember holding the phone up so my sister could hear it. You could have been a famous recording artist for just 3 days.

Anonymous said...

That was a really tough time for all of Neal's friends, not just me. We no longer had a comedian in the group. Work and Lunch were very lame...to say the least.

Glad you are doing so well bud with your workouts and tennis. You're like a poor man's Ivan Lendel now on the courts. I can't keep up.

You can smack the crap out of a softball like I've never seen, so I'd say you are 110% back!!

Lusker

Anonymous said...

know where you can get Donate Life bummer stickers?

Anonymous said...

god bless everyone that saw you v guys thru this and never gave up hope......the visitors just kept coming even in neals weakest hours.......

Anonymous said...

I can try to get some bumper stickers from Donate Life directly. The only other chance is the BMV.

Anonymous said...

Michele,

You both have come so far in a year, it IS really hard to look back. I think that sometimes it feels like it all happened 10 years ago.

Althought I do miss your Barry White voice, Neal.

S

Anonymous said...

Nice post to make a joke on

Anonymous said...

It was nice to be on 315 south for other reasons then visiting neal at the hospital.
Austin and I had a nice weekend with neal and michele. I do not think I have laugh that hard in a long time. I was laughing so hard I was cring at neal and austin. I have not seen neal activity level so high I was wore out just watching him and Austin wrestle and tease each other. I think Neal has met his match keep up the good work some day you can put Austin in the crocodile blanket lock

dee