Sunday, July 22, 2007

Weekend

Sorry for the delay, my internet was down. Neal is doing ok this weekend. He still has a fever. They started him on antibiotics on Sunday. We are again frustrated with his care. I think it is a combination of holes in his care and this going on for so many months. Neal is pretty irritated with me now because of some discussions we had with the doctor and nurse. I think it is what he needs, so he will just have to be mad at me. He is very loopy again. It appears to be the benadryl in his system. It seems the longer between dialysis sessions, the loopier he gets. He can barely stay awake to complete a sentence. I have requested they give him a lower dose. The doctors agreed, but Neal did not. He is still on oxygen. He is doing laps around the floor without any problems. We hope to get a lot on questions answered tomorrow with the surgeon. Today we could not get a hold of anyone on his team. The surgeon that did come said he could not really answer any of our questions. It has been a frustrating weekend and we are all ready for this to be over. He is still on the self controlled morphine pump and I have already discussed weaning him from narcotics before he is released. Again I hope to have more answers tomorrow.

The posts help, so please keep them coming. Thanks to Uncle Greg, Aunt Sue, Colleen and Jamie for making a long trip down to visit. Thanks to Denise and my Mom for sleeping at the hospital one night to help me regain my health and sanity. Denise and Austin will be back down helping out for the week. I will be returning to work for a full week hopefully. My time is running out, so I need to save it for when Neal really needs me.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

hang in there michele. you are doing an amazing job helping neal. do what ever it takes to provide the best care you can for him.

Patty McHenry said...

Hi Neal & Michele! Hope that things are looking brighter this coming week and your questions get answered. I always had a habit of writing all the information down that the doctors give and then you can refer back to it later (since my memory fails me!). Thanks for keeping us updated. My dad had colon surgery over 20 years ago. It justs takes time to recover, then he'll be good as new!

Love
Patty

Anonymous said...

Neal and Michelle, I am so sorry about your frustration with Neal's progress. Loopy is a word I don't think I've used but I sure can imagine how it appears. Not fun!
Thanks again for the visit to the church and the planter sent in memory of Scott. He is at peace and God is giving us the needed strength.
Praying for you,
Kathy and Harry

Big Momma said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Becky said...

Hopefully things will improve over the coming days. I am through with my coaching season, so I have all day, every day free...please let me know if I can help you in any way (hospital shifts, getting supplies, food, etc.) I know it is extremely frustrating to have to have someone around 24/7 to "advocate" when he is not all the way coherent...we went through that with my dad. Take care of yourself!